Monday, November 07, 2005

Honoring a brilliant comic strip

Back in my tumultuous middle school years, I was a relentless promotor of the brilliant Calvin and Hobbes. My friends at the time lacked my emotional maturity, and as a result, gave me a hard time. They thought it was weird that a stuffed tiger could talk. I'm sure they look back at that time and realize just how right I was, just as I'm sure they now realize I was correct about the unprecedented awfulness of Vanilla Ice.

A three volume hardcover anthology of every Calvin and Hobbes strip was recently released. This would look really nice on my bookcase. Too bad it costs nearly $100.

Today, Slate published a slide-show essay explaining the appeal and timelessness of Calvin and Hobbes. It's worth a gander.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

rollin'. in my five-point-oh. with my ragtop down, so my hair can blow...

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

i will admit C&H is quite a fine strip....though i also admit that i still think "Ice, Ice Baby" is one kick-ass jam

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger CCHarmony said...

I love C&H! I think I own every book published to date, so while the anthology is nice, I've already got all the material. Just not in one expensive place. And I kept the very last comic strip that appeared back in the day.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Dan said...

C&H? Is that would the cool kids are calling it these days?

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger CCHarmony said...

Not if that's the term Jeffro and I are using ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home