Thursday, October 27, 2005

Does David Brooks think I'm stupid?

This past Sunday, David Brooks wrote a column for the New York Times (I'd link, but it's stuck behind TimesSelect's walls) in which he argues that conservative criticism of George W. Bush, while understandable, is archaic and self-destructive. Bush, Brooks says, has "modernized and saved" conservatism, because classic small-government conservatism is unpopular with voters.

With the electorate preferring "Democratic ideas on issue after issue by 20-point margins," Bush
rejected the prejudice that the private sector is good and the public sector is bad, and he tried to use government to encourage responsible citizenship and community service. He sought to mobilize government so the children of prisoners can build their lives, so parents can get data to measure their school's performance, so millions of AIDS victims in Africa can live another day, so people around the world can dream of freedom.

"Government should help people improve their lives, not run their lives," Bush said. This is not the Government-Is-the-Problem philosophy of a governing majority party in a country where people look to government to play a positive but not overbearing role in their lives.
Brooks seems to think that Bush's brand of conservatism is good for the people. That notion offends me. Bush is saddling us with a massive deficit which must be paid back at some point. And who's going to have to help pay it? You and me. That's certainly not good for me, nor is it good for you.

Brooks never even makes a passing reference to the deficit. In his world, you can have it all--low taxes and government programs. And I guess I'm not supposed to question that.

5 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Don't look now, DA, but you almost sound like a fiscal conservative with those last two paragraphs.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Dan said...

If being fiscally responsible makes me fiscally conservative, then so be it. But I don't think it does.

I'm not a fiscal conservative, because I'm not opposed to government spending. I think the government can certainly play a useful role in improving society--a specific area being health care.

But I want to raise taxes to do it. I think a true fiscal conservative would be offended that you've lumped me in with him.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Jay said...

How can we keep raising taxes? Cost of living is ridiculous and you want to take more money out of my pocket? I don't have to commute far enough already to be able to afford just a modest old house?

Is that more like the fiscal conservative that Pete was looking for?

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Dan said...

:-)

I'm going to take this opportunity to say that we should tax the hell out of those assholes from Exxon and Shell.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

Bush isn't capable of clear thought in this manner:

"Bush rejected the prejudice that the private sector is good and the public sector is bad, and he tried to use government to encourage responsible citizenship and community service. He sought to mobilize government so the children of prisoners can build their lives, so parents can get data to measure their school's performance, so millions of AIDS victims in Africa can live another day, so people around the world can dream of freedom."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home