Sunday, October 02, 2005

A dilemma

My parents forgot to send me a birthday card and feel bad about it, so they have offered to spend much more on a birthday present than they had originally intended. Initially, they were going to buy me a $50 iPod remote control. Instead, they are going to contribute $200 toward the purchase of a digital camera.

I have found the camera I want: the HP 5.1 MP Photosmart R707v Digital Camera

This camera generally costs $250, meaning I'd have to spend some of my own money to get it. But, at Walmart, it costs about $190. That's my dilemma. If I were to have my parents purchase it from Walmart, I wouldn't have to pay anything out of my pocket. But I'd be associating with a company whose awful labor practices are well-documented.

What to do, what to do?

(Please, no comments about the possible frivolousness of this purchase.)

10 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Jay said...

while i don't have any problem buying from walmart, here's your solution

buy it from pcrush
http://www.pcrush.com/prodspec.asp?ln=1&itemno=79078&refid=1135

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

Buy it from walmart or pcrush - idealism is dead.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger jeffro said...

use pricegrabber.com and find it cheaper online...you'll be aight.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Dan said...

My dad wound up buying it from buydig.com for $168, so we were able to avoid dealing with Walmart. But I'm really curious how it can be sold so cheaply at places like buydig and pcrush.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Pete said...

I would add to the list www.techbargains.com, another Web site where you can buy electronic gadgets fairly cheap.

One other note... Be wary of buying all the extras that can potentially go with your digital camera before you are certain you need them.

I bought the EasyShare with the printer dock, but later decided that it was easier just to upload them to ofoto and order pictures off there.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

why would we even bother to comment about the frivolousness of this purchase when there's so much suffering and class inequity going on in the world...

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I'm glad you're suddenly so concerned, Jeffro. Perhaps I've made a difference.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger CCHarmony said...

Since it was only $168, can you get them to supplement you the extra money to get the full $200? Guilt can be a wonderful thing. ;)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

digital cameras rock! now you can post cool pics of your life in beantown! it's so cool just how quickly you can download 'em and then post 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home