Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Stop!! Please STOP!!!

The office building in which I work is located at the corner of Boylston Street and Berkeley Street in Boston. At one time, this building's showcase store was FAO Schwartz. It went out of business over a year ago, and that retail space will soon be occupied by iconic Boston jeweler Shreve, Crump & Low.

This two-story space is literally directly below my third-floor cubicle. As I write this, construction workers are preparing the space for the new tenant. This means that they are incessantly banging with a hammer. They are doing this loudly. And they won't stop. In fact, this has been going on for months. They are making me go crazy.

I believe Shreve, Crump & Low owes me one. I'd like you, my loyal readers, to click here and send them an email, requesting that they give me a piece of jewelry, which I would then pass on to Rachel.

8 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

kick their ass, seabass!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Pete said...

If I was you, I would complain of migraine headaches caused by the hammering to your HR director, then I would telephone OSHA and alert them to the unsavory conditions.

With any luck, you will be sent home to recuperate until the construction is done, while still receiving a full salary.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

Jewelry - Hummer = both seem unnecessary to me. Perhaps Rachel would enjoy a lecture on class warefare instead?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

greg, that was hilarious!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Dan said...

A clever retort, Greg.

But perhaps you should reread the comments portion of my class warfare entry, where I made it clear that I don't think in such black and white terms. Here's the key passage:

People should absolutely buy for themselves toys and other nice items that make them happy. They are worthy rewards for a job well done. But moderation is the key. Once it becomes clear that a person is indulging in gluttony, this is when the line has been crossed.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

how about a Nissan Maxima or Altima - would that be considered "gluttony?"

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Neither of those vehicles strike me as gluttonous. Why do you ask?

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger jeffro said...

some might consider its 265-horsepower 93-octane consuming V-6 to be excessive. at least much more than is actually needed in a mid-level sedan. so how far can one actually go over their needs to meet their wants? and who's to decide?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home