Friday, August 26, 2005

Office code

I have just returned from our office cafeteria, where I heard the following exchange:

Sandwich maker: How are you?

Customer: It's Friday.

Anyone who has worked in an office setting has heard this refrain countless times. From elevators and cubicles to water coolers and subways, the comment "It's Friday" is as common as the faulty printer.

Just once, when someone is asked, "How are you?" I'd like that person to respond with, "It's Friday. This means that the misery-laden chasm of despair also known as my life is so utterly hopeless that I live for two days. However, when you think about it, Sunday is spent thinking about work. So, I really only live for one day, or 14 percent of the week. Now you're probably just as suicidal as I am."

3 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

I like my job.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Pete said...

I was just thinking about this very topic.

Probably because I just heard the five-o'clock whistle hooting and hollering on the radio... while driving in for my night shift.

It's a tired radio bit. And I don't know too many people who derive absolute over-the-top ecstacy by denoting the precise beginning of their time off.

Not to mention the fact that these miserable fucks should try, you know, making the best of the other five days. Go to a movie at night. Go for a hike. Have friends over for dinner. Is it really that hard?

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Pete said...

I've been doing even more thinking about this. ...

These are the same people who are now lamenting: "It's almost Labor Day. Where has the summer gone?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home