Friday, August 05, 2005

Greetings from Columbia, MD

Today's edition of Eye of the Storm comes from scenic Columbia, MD, in the heart of the DC/Baltimore suburbs. Those of you who know me are aware of my utter disdain for suburban planning. Very few things are as alienating as a field of concrete, an evironment that blesses us at Columbia Crossing.

However, I must admit there is some merit to a lifestyle that encourages people to drive everywhere. Some of you might also know that I don't handle heat very well. To get around in the city, walking is required. After about 20 minutes of this, I feel like I need a shower. But in Columbia, I'm able to exit an air-conditioned environment, walk 30 seconds in the stifling heat, get into an air-conditioned car, drive to a parking lot, walk 30 seconds in the stifling heat, and enter another air-conditioned environment.

So whenver any of you hear me criticizing the 'burbs again, just remind me of this.

6 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

showin' your Jersey roots, yo!

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Bobi said...

How can you complain about a shopping center that has 3 different options for upscale coffee? Yay for modern conveniences!!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I have no problem with its shopping options. I enjoyed the time I spent at Starbucks and Target. It's the environment that offends me.

I suggest reading this article from Wikipedia about New Urbanism.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Jay said...

That article is too long. I don't have time to read that, I have to go get in my car and sit in traffic.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Danny Tartabull said...

don't forget to take your ADD medication while you're sitting in your car!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/visitor/bal-columbiamainaug10,1,5750382.htmlstory?coll=bal-howard-alsosee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home