Thursday, October 28, 2004

Stunned disbelief

The Red Sox won the World Series.

Those are seven words that simply do not belong together. Yet there they are. And it's not a joke.

It's such an amazing feeling. I've been a sports fan for 18 years, and never have I seen one of my teams win a championship. While my friends have seen a plentitude of champions--including one who's seen the Yankees win four times, the Giants win twice, and the Devils win twice--I had never experience that kind of overwhelming joy. Until now. Rarely does reality live up to the expectations. But not in this instance. This is as incredible as I imagined.

UPDATE: Two of my loyal readers have informed me that this post implies that I have been a Red Sox fan since 1986. That was not my intention. I have been a Sox fan for 4 1/2 years.

4 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought the Phils were your baseball team. Sniff.

Michael Jack Schmidt

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I explained this the last time somebody made this joke, but for some reason it disappeared, so I'll do it again.

The Phillies are still my team. I have never said that they aren't. When the Phillies and the Red Sox played at Fenway during the season, I rooted heavily for the Phillies. There is no doubt where my primary allegiance lies.

But I am also a huge Sox fan. It is possible to be both.

Whoever you are, slanderer, reveal yourself.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am your inner conscience. I am your true loyalty. And I am saddened by your traitorous affair with scarlet hosiery. I am Michael Jack Schmidt.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Jay said...

As the "one who's seen the Yankees win four times, the Giants win twice, and the Devils win twice" I thought I'd just chime in and say congrats to the sox. I hope Pedro stays on the team, he's really easy to hate.

Are you implying in your message that you did not feel "overwhelming joy" when we watched as the RU Men's soccer team beat Brown to advance to the Final Four?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home