Wednesday, October 20, 2004

A crazy man is running the country

Like most liberals, my perception of Bush has been the following: He's incompetent and below average on the intelligence meter. But I never thought he was all that dangerous--until this week.

First, I read Ron Suskind's piece in the New York Times Magazine, in which Bush faith-based presidency is exposed in shocking detail. Bush supporters are arguing that Suskind has a political axe to grind.

But I don't see how the administration can dismiss this:
Pat Robertson, an ardent Bush supporter, said he had that conversation with the president in Nashville, Tennessee, before the March 2003 invasion. He described Bush in the meeting as "the most self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

"You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top of the world,' " Robertson said on the CNN show, "Paula Zahn Now."

"And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

Robertson said the president then told him, "Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties."

Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition, is the last guy who would spread lies to defame the president's character.

When I read that, a feeling of sickness overcame my body. It is a shock to the system to read that the president of your country is delusional. I should be overjoyed right now. The Red Sox have remarkably forced a game 7 with the Yankees. Yet I can't help but worry for this country.

I understand why a person would not want to support Kerry. But I cannot understand how anybody can vote for George W. Bush.

2 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Randall said...

You are so funny!

Look at the numbers. Most people who are voting for Kerry are voting against Bush. They hate him. But unlike Kerry, most people who are voting for Bush (74%). So there must be some people outside the elitist liberal circles that you hang out in that actually like the man.

Obviously, none of them are as intelligent as you, but still. Bush does have his positive qualities. And many people love him for them.

As for the comment. Bush said before the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, that the war on terror would be difficult, that we would have tough periods and there would be losses, and sacrifices in the name of liberty.

If you watched his acceptance speech, he clearly understood the gravity of sending men and women into combat, as evidenced by his emotion (I tend to think he's too dumb to act that out).

When you post this stuff you sell yourself short.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I should not have posted that entry. I will elaborate later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home