Saturday, September 04, 2004

Bittersweet progress

I finally did it. After a year of lusting after an iPod, I purchased one today as a reward to myself for landing a new job. Never have I adored capitalism and consumerism as much as I do right now. I'm listening to the Shins on it as I write this, even though I could easily listen to music on my bedroom stereo. But you know how it is with new toys.

I must admit that I'm sad to say that my portable CD player is now obsolete. A Hannukah present from my parents in 1994, SL-S295 has traveled with me nearly everywhere for a decade. It's kept me company on flights across the continent, on road trips to places as diverse as South Bend and Montreal, on bus trips between Boston and New Jersey and on countless subway rides.

I'll never forget how SL-S295 managed to foresee future events. On an October afternoon in 2002, I met up with my girlfriend at a local coffeeshop. Then she dumped me. SL-S295 was with me and what CD was she carrying? Ben Folds Five's Whatever and Ever Amen, which features "Song for the Dumped." What would I have done had you not been there for me that day, SL-S295?

But just as my father had to finally get rid of his ratty old Rambler in 1985, after driving it around for 18 years, it was time for me to make that same painful decision with SL-S295.

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger himself said...

What's the new job?

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you were rather intimate with your CD player. I would hold on to it, just in case.

Speaking of the Shins, have you seen Garden State?

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I have. As a Jersey native, it was a must see for me. The presence of the Shins on the soundtrack was a nice bonus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home