Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Setting the record straight

"I mean, the first one, whether he ought to have a Purple Heart--he got two in one day, I think."

--Bob Dole on Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer on Sunday.


You're kidding! John Kerry got two in one day? That's ridiculous! Purple Hearts must be meaningless. They obviously hand those things out like candy on Halloween.

What?! He didn't get two in one day? He received them for the events of Dec. 2, 1968; Feb. 20, 1969; and March 13, 1969? But former Presidential candidate Bob Dole said he got two in one day! And Wolf Blitzer didn't press him on the matter and never corrected him.

That really makes me think. I wonder if I should stop watching cable news. I mean, with the rapid format, it's so easy for a guest to spit out any piece of information, no matter how ludicrous or false it is. It's impossible to question every single "fact" that comes out of a person's mouth.

Well, at least Dole came back for Blitzer's show on Monday. How often does a talk show host get this kind of opportunity? If I were Wolf, I'd be all like, "Hey, Bob, yesterday you said that Kerry received two Purple Hearts in one day. Well, guess what. He didn't. Take that!"

Huh? Blitzer didn't bring it up? He didn't make a correction?! Television journalism is a farce. I give up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home