Sunday, August 08, 2004

Ripoff?

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega are having this conversation:

Vincent: Did you just order a $5 New York Times?
Mia: Sure did.
Vincent: That's a newspaper...that's newsprint and ink.
Mia: Last I heard.
Vincent: That's $5?
Convenience store clerk: Yep.
Vincent: They don't put coupons or comics in it?
Convenience store clerk: Nope.
Vincent: Just checking.

(Clerk hands over the newspaper)

Vincent: Can I have a look at that? I'd like to know what a $5 newspaper reads like.
Mia: Be my guest.
Vincent: (Reads a Tom Friedman column) Goddamn! That's a pretty fuckin' good newspaper.
Mia: Told ya.
Vincent: I don't know if it's worth $5, but it's pretty fuckin' good.

It's true, the Sunday New York Times now costs $5 in Boston, up from $4.50. I'd get the Globe, but it's just not nearly as good.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring out the gimp!!!

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive, most impressive... wait wrong movie.

MMMM, This is a tasty blog.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Jay said...

5 bucks seems a bit ridiculous. It is still free on their website, no? If not I'm sure you can get the same quality type reporting at www.mcall.com

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Yeah, their website is still free, but I like having the actual print edition so I can read it while eating my bagel and drinking my coffee.

And don't knock the Morning Call. I found this story on there about the Democrats' favorite presidential candidate, Ralph Nader:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-panaderfraud-080904,0,5977603.story?coll=all-news-hed

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your style. Btw, I found your blog through soxblog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home